Photogrammetry is an investigation process used to obtain measurements and prepare plans from photographs.
AIS employ photogrammetry techniques for such things as:
- Surveying vehicle damage profiles
- Measuring the length of tyremarks in photographs
- Surveying difficult sites (e.g. freeways/rivers/buildings) where conventional methods are unsuitable or unsafe
- Illustrating the SUN’s position on a photograph
- Determining other distance issues within photographs
This PLAN (pdf) of a busy Sydney Freeway section was prepared from just 4 digital photographs exposed from an overhead bridge.